Sunday, April 22, 2012

NY in 2012 Spring, Part2

今回の滞在は2週間弱と短め。


This NY visit is less than 2 weeks. It is really short visit, and I have many things to take care of.


1週間終わって、まだソーシャルセキュリティーオフィスにも行けてないし、夏からお引っ越しになるNJのNew Brunswickも見に行きたいし。。時間がない!

After 1 week had passed, I still hadn't been Social Security office, hadn't visit New Brunswick where we were going to move to in this summer.  NO TIME!!

ということで、2週目は、フルタイムでサハルをナニーに預ける事に。
幸運にも、大学時代の友人、ジェニーとダニエルの娘さんのソフィーちゃんのナニーをシェアさせてもらえることになりました。NYのナニーの時給の相場は$15。めちゃくちゃ高い!! でもシェアだと一人につき$10。ものすごくお得で大助かり。

I decided to hire nannies for Sahar for the 2nd week.
Luckily, Jenni and Daniel, friends of mine from Grad school and her husband, have a daughter who is only 3 months ahead of Sahar, and offered us to share their nanny. The average of hourly fee for nanny in NY is $15, super expensive!! This nanny share cut the price down to $10/h, and it is a great help.

ソフィーちゃんとサハルのお散歩
(Sophie and Sahar )
サハルもほぼ同い年のソフィーちゃんや、ナニー仲間たちが集めてくる他の子供たちと一日中遊べたのが大層楽しかったらしく、迎えに行くと、毎回上機嫌で抱きついてきてくれました。
サハルはソフィーちゃんが大好きだったようで、「ソフィーちゃんすき?」と聞くと、お得意の意味深な流し目とともに大きくうなずいていました。こいつ、惚れたな。ただし、ソフィーちゃんからは、たった3ヶ月しか違わないのに、「baby」と呼ばれていたので、「子供ねえ~~。ふん。」というかんじであしらわれ気味?(涙

Sahar seemed to be very happy playing with Sophie and other kids who the nanny's friends bring to the park all day long. When I picked him up, he always had big smile and jumped to hug me.
When I asked him "Do you like Sophie?" he looked at me sideway, and nodded with a meaningful smile. I think that he had crush on her.  Though, Sophie was calling Sahar as "baby." She might think that Sahar was too young for her :)

今回の教訓で、サハルと二人だけで、用事や仕事がある旅にはナニーは必須だなって思った。
子供は親にストローラーに載せられて連れ回されて、おとなしくしてなさいと言われるよりも、自由でおもちゃがいっぱいあって、お友達がいるところのほうが断然うれしいのだ。滑り台があって、ぶらんこがあって、砂場があって、お友達がいれば、セントラルパークだろうが近所の公園だろうが関係ない。

エリザベスとサハル、セントラルパークにて
そして、NYの街はサブウェイに乗らないとどこにもいけないので、毎回ストローラーを階段で引っ張り上げる作業が必須。必ずと言っていいほど親切な人が手伝ってはくれるものの、本当に外出する気を失ってしまう。折角高い旅費に長いフライトで来てるのに、どこにもいかないんなら、本当に来た意味がない。ナニー代も旅の費用の一部くらいに考えていくしかないんだな。と思いました。

I learned that I must have nanny when I travel NYC with Sahar without Gil. It is not so much fun for Sahar to go around NYC on his stroller, and asked to be quiet. For him, no difference between the Central Park and a small park near by as long as it has a slider, a swing, a sandbox, and friends in his age.

Thinking of lifting him and his stroller up to the stairs in subway stations, I loose interest to go out. If I am not going out at all, the expensive long flight is just a waste of time and money. I have to consider the nanny cost as a part of my travel budget.

おかげで、ソーシャルセキュリティーオフィスにもいけたし、とてもリミテッドではあったけど、お友達にもにもちらほら会いに行けたし、引っ越し先のリサーチもできたし、New Brunswickにも足をのばせた。やるべき事はすべてこなせた。すばらしー。

NJのど田舎の、いったいどんなとこに引っ越すんだ?とちょっと不安になっていたので、行ってきました、New Brunswickへ。Penn Stationから、すいっとNJ Transit で53分。トレインの乗り心地もなかなか良くて、すいっと行けて、思ったよりずっと便利でラクチン。駅を降りると目の前にギルちゃんの行くことになるRutgers, NJ State University のキャンパスが。その辺を歩いていた学生を捕まえて聞いてみると、ギルちゃんのエンジニアリングのあるキャンパスにも、そこからシャトルバスが頻繁に出ていて、10分くらいで行けるらしい。これまた便利。

With the nanny help, I could manage to go to the SSO, research a bit about New Brunswick, where we are going to move to from this summer, and actually could make a visit to the town.

I had been a bit worried about moving there without knowing what kind of place it is, but this visit made me very excited to move there!

It is only 53 mins from Penn Station, and NJ Transit is quite comfortable. Rutgers, NJ State University was right outside of the New Brunswick train station, and it is 10 mins shuttle ride to Gil's engineering department. How convenient.

駅降りてすぐのRutgersのキャンパス

レンタカーを借りて街を一通りぐるっと廻ってみると、街の真ん中を川が通っていて、その両サイドは木が生い茂る心地良さげな遊歩道、というか森。それにそってRutgersの広大なキャンパス。そのまわりに閑静な住宅街。中心部もそこそこレストランやらお店やらあって、全くのど田舎でもなく。なんか、小さい子供のいる家族にはかなり理想的な環境じゃありませんか。

I rented a car and drove around the town. There is a river running the center of the town, and the  nice walk ways with lots of trees along the river. The large Rutgers' campus locates along the river, and quiet residential area around it. Downtown area has some nice restaurants, cafes, and shops. It seems to be an ideal place for a family with small kids.

川沿いの遊歩道
サハルのデイケアの下見に3カ所ほど廻って、それはピンからキリまでってかんじだったけど、一番お気に入りだったところのウェイティングリストに載せてもらってきました。空きができるといいけどなあ。。どうかな。
なんかー、New Brunswickすごい気に入った!俄然お引っ越しがわくわくしてきたぞ。

そんな感じでうきうきしつつ、NYをあとにしました。

I also visited 3 daycares for Sahar, and put his name on the waiting list for the best one in those 3. I hope that they will have an open spot by September...


全面的にお世話になりまくったマイク。ナニーシェアばかりでなく、サハルに食べ物からおもちゃからストローラーから、すべて気前よく提供してくれたジェニーとダニエル。突然のお願いを快く引き受けてくれて、サハルをかわいがってくれたナニーの瞳さんにリエさん。忙しい中を時間を割いて会ってくれたみんな。そして、安静にしていないといけないにもかかわらずわたしのグリーンカード更新の心配をしてくれていたれい子ちゃんにロイ。みんなみんなどうもありがとう。NYに来ると、毎回毎回、友達の暖かさに感動するなあ。だからここが好きなんだなあ。

ちなみに、サハル君に、「NY楽しかった?」と聞くと、首をぶんぶん振ってうなずいていました。

Big thanks for Mike overall. Thanks for Jenni and Daniel, who offered not only the nanny share, but toys, foods, stroller.. everything Sahar needed. Thanks for Rie and Hitomi, who accepted my short notice and took care of Sahar. Thanks for all friends who made time for me in their busy schedules, and Reiko and Roy, who helped my greencard renewal when Reiko has to be resting.

I feel blessed every time when I come to NY with warm welcomes, helps, and supports from my friends.

I asked Sahar "Did you have fun in NY?" He gave me the big nods with smile.


また来ようね〜。




おしまい。


No comments:

Post a Comment